Sunday 30 December 2018

Traffic Jam

Namaste
Although there are no wheeled vehicles in Phillim, and the nearest road is two days walk down the valley, this morning on my way to visit a primary school I encountered an unusual traffic jam.



Leaving the village, and walking down the steep steps to the suspension bridge to cross the river, I was passed by a train of unladen mules. These arrived at the bridge just as a large flock of sheep began to cross from the far side. 

Also crossing were numerous students, dressed in blue uniform shirts, on their way to school at Buddha Ma Vi.























The mules made their way onto the bridge and met the sheep about three quarters of the way across. After some pushing and jostling both sets of animals reached their intended side. The students were able to deftly weave their way between the animals, more confidently than I could.













Looking across to the other side I saw more queues waiting to cross. Flocks of sheep, at least three, had converged on the bridge from different directions and their shepherds were holding back before allowing their animals to cross. 















Two trains of mules were also queueing on the steep rise to the bridge entrance, enjoying the chance to browse for anything to eat amongst the surrounding vegetation whilst waiting.



Mules can be seen on the far side of the bridge queueing to cross, whilst a second flock of sheep have begun their crossing.

Generally I would wait for the bridge to be clear before attempting to cross. Laden mules can inflict a serious injury especially in a confined space like the bridge. However this morning I was keen to resume my journey to the school. Having allowed the first flock of sheep to cross, I left the safety of the Phillim side of the bridge and began the walk across. The few stragglers from the flock were not a problem, but the next flock began their crossing before I was halfway across. Then the muleteers, impatient not to be delayed, began jostling their animals through the sheep. These mules were laden, on both sides, with bags of cement, almost filling the width of the bridge. I had to lean right into the side to give the mules room to pass without incident.
Once I reached the far side, at the first available place I climbed through the broken side of the bridge, onto the rough ground and out of the path of the mules. Ten minutes later all the animals had crossed over the bridge and gone and it was safe to continue the journey to school! 

No comments:

Post a Comment