Wednesday 29 January 2014

Lamjung Festival


Namaste!
For a week in January Lamjung District holds its county fair, the Lamjung Festival, in Besisahar.  This is a big event in the area and people had been telling me not to miss it. People travel into the town from the surrounding villages specially to attend. As I am very familiar with the Royal Cornwall Show it was interesting to now experience this Nepali version.


I watched the streets of Besisahar being decorated with coloured bunting a few days before the start.  There was a buzz of excitement in the town on the opening day, and many people seemed to be dressed up for a special occasion.  The track to the festival ground was bustling with people, the sides lined with a variety of different traders; snacks, toys, jewellery and colourful helium balloons. I am sure most small children would have wanted one of these magical balloons.


I paid my 40 rupees entrance fee, about 30 pence, rather cheaper than county show entrance in the UK.  Around the edge of the central arena were displays of traditional rural life and ancient artifacts.  There were also many stalls selling clothes and household goods. I bought a duvet for my bed; up until now I had been sleeping in my warm sleeping bag because I hadn't seen what I wanted in the shops.





The central arena was lined with food stalls selling all manner of interesting looking food, much of it I hadn’t a clue what it was – sweet or savoury.  I must sample these different things soon. The samosas that I bought were huge, like mini pasties, wrapped in crumbly pastry, and very tasty too. Tables and chairs café style were available for use by those who bought food or drinks from the stalls.





The very centre of the arena was crowded with spectators, many sitting on carpeted areas, watching the raised stage.  It appears there was a competition, for traditional dancing and singing taking place.  I really did enjoy the afternoon of traditional dancing and music, the performers dressed in beautiful colourful clothes, many of them representing their village or community. 
Sadly they were all dancing high on the stage, and I had limited views from directly below it, the best place I could find amongst the crowded spectators. Not a good place to take photos though!


My Nepali friend introduced us to her sister, dressed and waiting anxiously to enchant the judges and audience with her dance.  It was good to feel I was supporting someone I knew, and applauded loudly when she finished.  


She  had taken so much care with her clothes and appearance, I couldn't resist taking a close-up photo of her before she began her performance.
Another distinctive group of dancers




























Most of the dancers were women and girls, however there was one troupe of men who I watched with much interest.  Nepali Morris dancers!! Their dances included much high stepping and they danced with brightly painted sticks that they clashed frequently as part of the dance. They also had a tall emblem, like a ‘obby oss’ with a painted face that was carried around.  I wonder if this dance style is in any way related to English Morris dancing.




Suddenly all eyes were on the sky. We watched two paragliders descend from one of the highest nearby hills, right into a nearby field, there being no room for them to land in the actual arena.




The big wheel and fairground rides were also a big attraction, and the views from the big wheel over the showground must have been good.  I did not feel the need to experience those rides today!

So many similarities to fairs and shows we have in UK, but in comparison Lamjung Festival was far more colourful, as I hope my photos portray.



1 comment:

  1. How interesting the similarities between the Morris! The food looks very tempting :-) *HUGS!* xxxxx

    ReplyDelete